Subfloors Are Out Of Sight, But They Should Never Be Out Of Mind
In this article, London flooring contractors will explain about the great meaning of subfloors. As long with high-quality maintenance and good finish, subfloors have big importance for longevity of floorcoverings. Poor subfloor preparation is the main cause for numerous problems with hardwood flooring. London flooring experts remind that no matter the subfloor is invisible, it plays a crucial role for aesthetics and durability of the surface. Here are more details on the topic:
- When it comes to London contract flooring and London commercial flooring excellent subfloor preparation is very important. When the chosen material is hardwood, the main conditions that must be verified are fastening holding power, pH levels, stiffness and moisture resistance.
- Moisture is one of the main problems for London flooring. London flooring specialists are aware, that moisture in wood rises by high relative humidity. In order to prevent warping and cupping in the future, London flooring contractors must check the moisture content in the subfloor.
- When it comes to the level of maximum moisture content in the subfloor, every case is different. Factors, that matter are local climate, species of wood and manufacturer’s installation recommendations. London flooring contractors explain, that the maximum subfloor humidity rate for hardwood floors is approximately 12–13%.
- In order to prevent failure in the installation (cracks, buckling, cupping, crowning), the level of moisture must be tested and if it’s above the maximum allowance, then it’s mandatory for the subfloor to be dried out before London flooring specialists start the installation of laminate or hardwood flooring.
- London flooring contractors use a hand held meter to do the tests. This tool may be expensive, but it saves problems and time.
- London flooring experts point some other issues, caused by high moisture levels. Such problems are the increased pH levels. They interfere with subfloor adhesives. It’s essential to make both moisture and pH tests in order to avoid squeaky wooden planks. Every London flooring company should be aware, that most adhesives may stand out pH levels between 5 and 9.
- London flooring contractors remind, that stiffness is also crucial for the flooring. Stiffness represents a function of the panel thickness and type (as well as of the spacing between underlying joists or trusses). When the subfloor panel is stiffer, then the floor system is more solid. This decreases the possibility for cracked ceramic tiles or squeaky wood planks.
London flooring experts summarise that no matter that the subfloor is invisible, it’s an essential part of successful hardwood installation. It seems, that a hardwood floor is only as good as its subfloor.
Inspired by www.contractflooringjournal.co.uk